Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Blog

As an initial posting, I think it would be beneficial for me to iterate what my goals are for this blog. In order to get there, however, its necessary that I outline some important facts about myself.

I am in the process of completing my Master's degree in International Public Policy at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. I've now spent over 5 years studying policy, economics, politics, institutions, development, human rights and security. When one gets really wedded to academic discourse and interested in what one is studying, it becomes apparent that the environment which is created in the university/ college environment has severe limitations in its ability to develop professional individuals. As such, I am now attempting to branch out and utilize the skills and knowledge I've acquired and adapt it to real, normative application. No longer content with writing papers to achieve grades, I now want to write ideas to achieve change.

Change is ultimately my goal. Change in anything. I want to change the world. change your mind. change policy. change discourse. I want to change how budgets are put together and how people vote. I want to change how aid funds are distributed and how we help those in severe poverty. By taking this mentality, I hope to focus my personal resources for something other than an artificially-orchestrated academic achievement. Don't get me wrong, I understand the rationale for academic fora, but I think that they lose their ability to inform and influence regular individuals and therefore are limited in their capacity to affect change.

Thus, this blog will look at a wide range of interests from current political events to economic theories that I find interesting. However, most often I intend to comment on current trends in development, policy in developing countries and the activities of global governance. I only hope that I'm able influence real world changes through this avenue of writing.

Best,
Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment